Talent4BBI is the first industry led PhD MSCA programme in Ireland and is managed by BiOrbic, the Bioeconomy SFI Research Centre located in University College Dublin (UCD). Talent4BBI brings together 10 industry and 8 academic partners across 8 Member States and 1 Associated Country.
The primary aim of Talent4BBI is to train 11 PhD students to become highly skilled industry-ready Early-Stage Researchers (ESR’s) equipped to lead the future of the European bio-based industry sector. This programme provides a unique opportunity for the ESRs to develop key skills, competencies and experience required by the bio-based industries through a targeted training programme for future bioeconomy leaders.
During the 60-month programme duration, the 11 ESRs will undertake 48-month PhDs co-hosted by industry and academia. Three additional industry partners will actively participate and contribute their expertise through hosting of summer and winter school training events.
All applicants to the programme must meet the eligibility criteria at the closing date of the call – January 31st, 2022. Candidates who wish to apply should be final year undergraduate or should be Master’s students undertaking programmes in science, engineering and bioeconomy who wish to work in industry or perform industry- related research. Research assistants currently in academia and industry are also eligible to apply.
All applicants must be in the first four years (full- time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree, as per MSCA COFUND ESR definition on page 4 of this document. Applicants of any nationality are invited to apply provided they fulfil the MSCA mobility requirement.
May be of any Nationality
The applicants should be in the first 4 years of their research careers (full time equivalent research experience), possess a degree that entitles them to start PhD studies and have not yet been awarded a doctoral degree at the deadline of the Talent4BBI programme call
Mobility Rule - applicants must meet the mobility rule i.e., they may not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the deadline of the Talent4BBI programme call (as per MSCA definition)
The applicant must satisfy academic entry and English language requirements of academic institution they wish to enroll in. Please note an applicant must hold a MSc if the host university requires it.
- ESR PhD 1: Title – Yeast bioprocess development using systems and synthetic biology. Click here for details
- ESR PhD 2: Title – Development of new lignocellulosic biomass valorisation processes to supply the petrochemical industry with sustainable carbon. Click here for details
- ESR PhD 3: Title – Development of bioprocesses for the bioeconomy using continuous manufacturing. Click here for details
- ESR PhD 4: Title – Transition to a biobased economy: prospective LCA as a tool for critical guidance in technology development. Click here for details
- ESR PhD 5: Title – Production of lactic acid by a yeast-like fungus. Click here for details
- ESR PhD 6: Title – Fermentative lactate production from lignocellulosic feedstocks by a thermophilic microorganism. Click here for details
- ESR PhD 7: Title – Enzyme development for sustainable production of pharmaceutical ingredients. Click here for details
- ESR PhD 8: Title – Novel catalytic routes towards carbon efficient lignocellulose biorefineries. Click here for details
- ESR PhD 9: Title – How to affect change on farms for the benefit of farmers, their communities and the environment through the use of emerging knowledge and tools of the modern bioeconomy. Click here for details
- ESR PhD 10: Title – Fungal fermentation process development. Click here for details
- ESR PhD 11: Title – Increasing the efficiency of downstream processes that valorise dairy side streams. Click here for details
Deadline: 31 January 2022 at 17:00 GMT (18:00 CET)