ORGANISATION NAMEVENVIROTECH BIOTECHNOLOGY
RESEARCH FIELDNatural sciences
CAREER STAGERecognised Researcher (R2) (PhD holders or equivalent who are not yet fully independent)Established Researcher (R3) (Researchers who have developed a level of independence)
The researcher will be the pioneer of a new area of investigation in VEnvirotech Biotechnology “Dynamic simulation of Bioreactors & Design of Experiments”, with the goal of developing models and tools to predict and optimize VEnvirotech technologies.
The general objective of the project is to optimize the industrial bioprocess of PHA production through a mathematical approach. The project can be divided in 4 work-packages briefly presented below:
WP1: Kinetic and metabolic modelling and simulation of acidogenic fermentation of organic waste to optimize volatile fatty acids production, the preliminary step of the VE-box process.
WP2: Kinetic and metabolic modelling of PHA production from fermented waste via microbial enrichment cultures as a tool for PHA production optimization.
WP3: Bioreactor modelling and fluid flow simulation (agitation, aeration, inoculum concentration…) to determine the optimal conditions for PHA production at industrial scale.
WP4: Implementation of the Design of Experiments method to efficiently validate and complement the result of mathematical modeling at the experimental level.
- To develop and organize the area “Dynamic simulation of Bioreactors & Design of Experiments” in VEnvirotech Biotechnology.
- To propose solutions to optimize the industrial bioprocess in function of modelling and simulation results
- To find key aspects of the industrial production of PHA using mathematical approaches
- To tightly communicate with the experimental area of VEnvirotech Biotechnology
- To write data reports
- To teach the Design of experiment method to experimental fellows
- A global understanding of the behavior of the bacterial biomass in the VE-box
- A method to predict the behavior of the biomass in various conditions
- The identification of optimal conditions for the VE-box process and PHA production
What is funded
Tecniospring INDUSTRY offers financial support to cover up to 100% of 2-year employment contracts and develop research activity:
- Salary costs (with full social security coverage): Incoming: 58,500€ per year. Outgoing & Return: 58,500€/1st year x coef. 58,500€ 2nd year.
- Research costs: 15,240€.
- Open Access Publication costs: 3,000€.
- Mobility costs: 1,920€.
- 70% Advanced payment at the beginning of the proje
100% of 2-year employment contracts
We wish to implement a new area of research “Dynamic Simulation of Bioreactors & Design of Experiments”. To this purpose, we are looking for an experienced researcher in computational mathematic or mathematical modeling to work on a biotechnological process at the industrial scale.
Researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity in the country of their 1st year host organisation for more than 12 months in 3 years immediately prior to the deadline for the submission of applications. Exceptions will be made for candidates with justified career breaks.
- Self-motivated for learning
- Taking responsibility
- Teamwork spirit
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Desire to build an ecofriendly world
- PhD. Degree with 2 years’ experience in research
- BSc of MSc with 6 years’ experience in research
Expertise in one or more of these areas is a plus but not a must:
- Fermentation processes to produce volatile fatty acids and PHA using mixed microbial culture
- Metabolic and kinetic modelling of fermentation processes
- Metabolic flux analysis and flux balance analysis
- Computational fluid dynamics for simulating fluid flow in bioreactors
- Experience with Matlab, Comsol Multiphysics, Minitab and/or similar software’s
- English is a must
- Castellano or/and Catalan is a plus
The responsibility for the funding offers published on this website, including the funding description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.