ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Twente (UT)
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/07/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Enschede
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38.0
The project “Laser Implantation Surface Texturing (LITex)— Fundamentals and Applications” aims towards a breakthrough manufacturing system for the fabrication of functional surfaces. The two main research activities underpinning the system surround the prediction (and opitimization) of the added volume, microstructure and stresses in the laser-based AM for the development of tailored surface properties of metallic components and secondly, the development of a pulsed powder delivery system.
To predict the relationship between processing conditions (laser parameters and material parameters) and resulting added material you will:
- develop numerical models of Laser-Material Interaction and Micro Melt Pool dynamics:
- numerical simulation of rapid pool forming
- micro-stresses and strains
- choose appropriate advanced numerical techniques and optimize them for simulation of micro-scale manufacturing;
- validate your simulation models by measurements on actually produced samples;
Utilising the results above, a pulsed powder delivery system will be realised based on:
- Definition of process requirements and limitations
- Design and build of application system
- Testing of pulsed powder deposition technology
In addition you will take initiative and responsibility in that:
- You will closely collaborate with your research-team colleagues at University of Twente, as well as with the industrial partner;
- You will mentor BSc and MSc students, who do graduation projects in support of your research;
- You will aim at finishing your research with a PhD thesis.
The university offers a dynamic, international workplace with enthusiastic colleagues in a stimulating scientific environment. The PhD salary is € 2.325 in the first year and increases to € 2.972 in the fourth year. Additional benefits are:
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs.
Web site for additional job details
- You hold a MSc degree in mechanical engineering, (applied) physics, materials science, photonics, control engineering, or a closely related discipline,
- You have a strong analytical mind and an eye for detail, as well as a critical attitude towards assessment of simulation and experimental results;
- You are willing and able to collaborate closely with other researchers and the Industrial partner;
- You are aware of:
- fundamental aspects of high power laser-material processing, such as laser cladding,
- analysis technologies/techniques such as SEM, EDX, AFM, confocal microscopy, etc;
- You like to present your results to colleagues, industrial partners and at international conferences;
- You are fluent in English and express yourself easily both in speech and in writing. We require a TOEFL > 90 or IELTS > 6.5 score.
INFORMATION & APPLICATION
For more information, please contact dr.ir. Dave Matthews (email@example.com) or prof.dr.ir. Gert-Willem Römer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or point your browser to https://www.utwente.nl/en/et/ms3/research-chairs/lp/ The start of the project is as soon as possible. We also invite applications from candidates, who expect to graduate soon. Please apply by sending the following documents (by email):
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae
- List with grades of courses attended
- References and, if applicable, a list of publications
Please submit your application before 30 Jun 2019 trough the link below.
EURAXESS offer ID: 417309
Posting organisation offer ID: 284038
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.