ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Twente (UT)
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE20/07/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Enschede
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38.0
We invite applicants for a 2-year post-doctoral position on the modeling of gas separation membrane processes. The addition of selective moieties into a polymer matrix to improve the properties of a membrane has gained significant attention in recent years. It is hypothesized that these moieties can enhance the efficiency of gas separation processes, allowing higher permeance for a given selectivity (or vice versa). A notable example of this type of approach is the use of Metal Organic Frameworks (MOFs) in polymeric materials to fabricate Mixed Matrix Membranes (MMMs). Within the Membrane Science and Technology cluster of the University of Twente, a post-doctoral vacancy in this research area is available.
In this project a theoretical/numerical analysis will be performed that will analyze the potential of these MMMs as membrane materials and compare them to both conventional and facilitated transport membranes. This will be accomplished through modeling and simulation of the relevant transport phenomena in these systems, in order to understand the microscopic mass transport limitations within the separation layer and macroscopic mass transport limitation at a module level. The outcome of this project will give insights in the capabilities of MMMs, the efficacy of readily prepared membranes and their viability within processes.
- Developing a transport model framework for sensitivity analysis of gas transport in MMMs and implementing this at a simulation level
- Validation of this model framework against experimental data
- Benchmarking MMMs on both process and module scale
These goals will be accomplished via numerical simulations (continuum-based transport models are intended to be used), supported by experimental results obtained by project partners. The starting date is as soon as possible.
You will be appointed for two years, within a very stimulating scientific environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues.
- Starting salary ranges from € 3.255,= to € 4.274,- gross per month depending on your background, relevant experience and qualifications, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) of the Dutch Universities;
- A stimulating work environment in a recognized Centre of Excellence;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-en-bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- 232 holiday hours in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs;
Web site for additional job details
- PhD in relevant related field (for example Chemical Engineering)
- Highly experienced in numerical programming (for example, in Python)
- Familiarity with transport phenomena relevant for gas-separation is required
- Expertise in using MATLAB and COMSOL is an asset
- Previous experience with use of Monte Carlo or Molecular Dynamics methods in gas transport applications is an asset
- Previous experimental expertise in gas-separation membranes will also be strongly valued
- Excellent communication skills in English are mandatory
Within the MST cluster, there are multiple staff members running membrane and membrane-related research lines from the molecular scale to process level. You will be part of and expected to contribute to a dynamic and world-class research environment. You should be eager to engage in international and interdisciplinary collaborative workplace and possess excellent communication skills.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Your application should consist of:
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page A4), specifying your motivation in applying for the position.
- A full Curriculum Vitae including your publications, grants, awards, and working experience. Your CV should demonstrate the scope of your work and indicate a good fit with the stated requirements for the position.
- A minimum of two references who worked closely with you.
EURAXESS offer ID: 417308
Posting organisation offer ID: 284039
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.