ORGANISATION/COMPANYVrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)
RESEARCH FIELDMedical sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE16/08/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Amsterdam
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK0.0
Social awareness and communal involvement are core values of the Vrije Universiteit. One of the means through which we add a concrete dimension to these values, is by the implementation of a central Community Service Learning (CSL) program. Through CSL students deploy their academic skills to contribute to societal issues. CSL has the potential to be a transformative learning experience for the students, while at the same time impacting society. We have multiple successful ongoing CSL projects and collaborate with key partners in civil society.
Within this research project an innovative CSL curriculum for all bachelor and master students at the VU will be developed. The bachelor program includes multiple courses in which students address issues such as loneliness and circular economy in collaboration with community partners. The aim is to strengthen the link between various courses and society and to scale up CSL across the university.
We are developing a master program in which students identify and analyze complex societal issues with various stakeholders from society through a participatory approach. Interdisciplinary student teams conduct in-depth participatory research on the identified challenges. We aim to make the master program available to other (international) universities. The master program is the result of the Comenius Leadership Fellow of prof. Zweekhorst (financed by the NRO).
Overall we aim to identify the design principles for CSL, based on literature research and best practice analysis. Based on these insights, we will develop a framework for the implementation of CSL. To this end, your duties as a postdoc researcher within this research team will include working together on the design, execution, monitoring and evaluation of pilot studies to investigate the effects of the implementation of CSL within the course and the curriculum. On top of that, we conduct research on the interaction between education and society.
As a postdoc you collaborate in a lager team executing this project and conducting research on this project. Next to being involved in the research you are also involved as a coach or coordinator in teaching of various courses offered by the Athena Institute.
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €2.709,-) and a maximum of €4.274,-) in accordance with salary scale 10, depending on your education and experience. The job profile (researcher 4) is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0,8 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 1 year, with the possibility of extension. Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- considerable employer’s contribution to the ABP pension scheme
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter before 15 August 2019.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. dr. M.B.M. Zweekhorst
Position: Professor, Innovation and Education in the Health and Life sciences
Web site for additional job details
- PhD degree, preferably related to Management Policy Analysis and entrepreneurship in de health and life sciences, Health sciences, or another master program related to the field of health and life sciences. Experience and interest in education or educational sciences is preferred
- preferably expertise in both qualitative and participatory research methods and open to transdisciplinary research work
- excellent teaching skills and you are an engaged and inspiring lecturer, as proven by student-evaluations
- well capable to supervise a theoretical thesis, research projects and student internships
- publications in refereed international journals or books
- write and speak Dutch and English fluently
- network of relevant contacts
- team player
- keen to work on the topic “community service learning’’ and innovations in education
EURAXESS offer ID: 417300
Posting organisation offer ID: 284046
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.