ORGANISATION/COMPANYRCSI - Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/06/2019 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONIreland › Dublin
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK39
OFFER STARTING DATE02/09/2019
Title: Research Assistant
Department: Department of Physiology & Medical Physics
Tenure: Specified purpose contract for 18 months
Location: 123 St Stephens Green, Dublin 2
Reporting to: Dr Brona Murphy
Salary: In line with Research Assistant Salary Scale (Level 1)
Proposed Start Date: September 2019
The purpose of this role will be to provide key support to the brain tumour research programme within the Department of Physiology & Medical Physics. The research programme of the group is focused on improving treatment outcomes for brain tumour patients.
This role will be required for three years, to work with Dr Murphy and her team on a project that aims to improve and personalise chemotherapy treatment options for paediatric brain tumour patients.
Specifically, the duties of the post are:
- General laboratory management functions to ensure the smooth running of the brain tumour group laboratory
- Tumour-derived cell line preparation and analysis.
- Organizing and maintaining tumour-derived cell lines.
- Performing standard cell biology and molecular techniques (Western blotting, qPCR, immunohistochemistry, etc.).
- Compiling and analysing basic data.
- Maintaining and updating lab protocols and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Training new laboratory members in common biology practices as needed.
- Participating in the research programmes of the Department.
- Ensuring that all RCSI policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Complying with statutory legislation and Department rules and requirements in furtherance of your own and general staff welfare and safety.
- Undergoing programmes of training and development as may be required from time to time.
- Representing the best interests of the Department/RCSI at all times.
- Performing such other duties as may be required from time to time.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Bachelor Degree or equivalent
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant scientific discipline.
- Masters and/or diploma or other higher degree qualifications desirable.
Knowledge & Experience – (Essential):
- Excellent organisational and record keeping skills.
- Ability to learn and apply new techniques.
- Ability to analyse complex data and produce value ad reports.
Knowledge & Experience – (Desirable):
- Experience of working in a research laboratory with a background in biochemistry and basic molecular techniques.
- Ability to review and amend processes and procedures to ensure efficiencies are identified and best practice is followed.
Key Skills & Competencies Required for the role:
- Communication Skills: Proven ability to communicate complex ideas.
- Project Management Skills: Ability to ensure that project plans are communicated and that all timelines are met.
- Self-starter with the ability to work as part of a team: Ability to operate effectively as part of a team – is cordial, tolerant and willing to help others, is co-operative and patient; shares work and information; establishes rapport, can influence and develop effective networks
- I.T. skills: Knowledge of MS Office suite.
- Conscientious: Have a pro-active approach to work, anticipating and resolving problems in advance; have keen attention to detail - from anticipating and addressing issues in advance to understanding requests and delivering quality work with minimal errors.
- Flexibility: Can operate flexibly within a busy environment; can shift focus when required.
- Motivated: Display a ‘can-do’ attitude, be committed to RCSI ORI and its development; demonstrate enthusiasm and passion for the role.
EURAXESS offer ID: 417215
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.