RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Database managementComputer science › OtherEngineering › Knowledge engineeringMathematics › AlgorithmsMathematics › Computational mathematicsMathematics › Statistics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE23/07/2019 23:00 - America/Los Angeles
LOCATIONBelgium › Ghent
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
OFFER STARTING DATE01/08/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEFP7 / Ideas-ERC
The ERC-funded research team led by Prof. Tijl De Bie within the IDLab at Ghent University is soliciting applications for multiple fully-funded PhD student vacancies in the FORSIED research group. Applications by top postdoctoral candidates will be considered as well.
Topics of interest:
- Network and knowledge graph embedding.
- Visual analytics, information visualization.
- Representation learning.
- Nonlinear dimensionality reduction (variants of UMAP, t-SNE,…).
- Data mining algorithms on graphs / networks.
- Topological data analysis.
- Recommender systems.
- Natural language processing (word embedding, conversational agents).
- Deep learning approaches for these tasks.
- Privacy, fairness, and explainability in machine learning and data science.
- Applications to areas including biology (single-cell data), human resources (job-applicant matching), media and entertainment (catalog management).
You will become part of a vibrant and successful research group at one of the leading universities in the heart of Europe. The positions are fully funded, and remuneration and other benefits (e.g. social security) at Ghent University are highly competitive internationally (both for PhD students and for postdocs).
PhD positions last up to 4 years. Postdoc positions generally last 2 or 3 years, to be mutually agreed.
These positions are funded in the context of three large research projects:
- A large (EUR 1.6M) European Research Council (ERC) Consolidator grant, FORSIED.
- A large (EUR 2.1M) FWO Odysseus Group I grant.
- A substantial investment (EUR 12M annually) by the Flemish government in AI research, within which we play a leading role.
The research team currently consists of around 10 researchers, and is led by Prof. Tijl De Bie. The reputation of our research team is evidenced by substantial amounts of prestigious funding, high impact publications, and the organization of major international conferences in the area, including as general and program chairs. It is embedded within the IDLab of Ghent University, as well as the UGent Artificial Intelligence institute.
Ghent University is the largest university in Belgium, and a leading research-intensive university world-wide, ranking consistently within the top-100 in international rankings that value research.
The city of Ghent in Belgium, at the heart of Europe:
Belgium is a small country at the heart of Europe, benefiting from one of the best social security and healthcare systems in the world.
Ghent is a picturesque historical but vibrant town, with an international mindset and an active startup scene. It is home to a large expat community. You will find it easy to get around speaking just English.
Brussels (30 mins), Amsterdam (2 hours), Paris (2.5 hours), London (3 hours) are all within a short train ride’s distance.
See Skills/Requirements and Special Requirements for more information.
In addition to those requirements, having a strong work ethos, being communicative and able to function well in a multi-cultural and diverse team, and being self-motivated and eager to continuously learn and improve yourself, are indispensable.
Applications are welcome until all positions are filled. A first cut-off date is Sunday 23 June, with two Skype interviews per candidate (one interview to gauge motivation and general background, and one in-depth technical interview) scheduled to take place end of June and early July. To be considered, applications must include:
- A Concise CV (any format).
- A motivation letter (~1 page).
- A list of 3 referees with their contact details, and whether they can be already contacted.
- For PhD applicants: a transcript of your Masters degree.
Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com. IMPORTANT NOTE: the subject line of your email should be structured as follows (whichever applies):
- “[PhD application 2019] first name, last name”
- “[Postdoc application 2019] first name, last name”
Emails with different subject lines will probably be overlooked.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELComputer science: Master Degree or equivalentEngineering: Master Degree or equivalentMathematics: Master Degree or equivalentPhysics: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
For the PhD positions a Master's degree in a relevant discipline (artificial intelligence, data science, machine learning, computer science, physics, mathematics, electrical engineering) is required.
For the postdoc positions a PhD degree in a relevant discipline (artificial intelligence, data science, machine learning, computer science, physics, mathematics, electrical engineering) is required.
For PhD applicants:
- A relevant Master’s degree (data science, artificial intelligence, computer science, physics, electrical engineering, mathematics).
- Top-of-class performance (at least top 5% from top-100 institutes, at least top-1% from other institutes).
- Three positive reference letters (solicited by us, no need to include these in your application).
- Proven programming experience in Python.
- English language level: C1 (CEFR), 95 (TOEFL), 7 (IELTS), or assessed as equivalent during the interview.
- A solid background in at least three of the following: linear algebra; machine learning; deep learning; information theory; advanced algorithms; data mining; topological data analysis; information visualization / visual analytics; human computer interaction; recommender systems; natural language processing; privacy, fairness, and explainability in data science and machine learning.
- Strong programming skills in Python and other languages as proven by open source software projects.
- Experience with machine learning frameworks (pytorch, keras, etc).
- Experience with Spark.
- Prior publications in top conferences or journals.
For Postdoctoral research positions:
- Same as for PhD positions, additionally including:
- A PhD in a relevant subject.
- A strong publication track record (in top conferences and journals such as ICLR, KDD, NeurIPS, VIS, ICML, Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, IEEE PAMI, JMLR, Machine Learning journal, etc.) on one of the relevant topics.
- An eagerness to co-advise PhD and Master student projects.
EURAXESS offer ID: 417154
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.