ORGANISATION/COMPANYTechnische Universität Wien
RESEARCH FIELDPhysics › Solid state physics
RESEARCHER PROFILELeading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/07/2019 00:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONAustria › Vienna
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
We are looking for a scientist with international visibility and broad expertise in experimental research concerning the physics of modern quantum materials, including bulk, low-dimensional, or layered systems with non-trivial topology, as well as emergent phases with correlated electronic or magnetic properties. Synergies with and strengthening of the research portfolio of the Institute of Solid State Physics (http://www.ifp.tuwien.ac.at) and close ties with university‐wide research efforts are highly desired.
The duties of a university professor at TU Wien include, in addition to research, teaching activities (in German and in English) in the bachelor, master and PhD programmes (https://www.physik.tuwien.ac.at/lehre/) as well as participation in administration of the institute and the faculty.
Profile of requirements:
- Completed doctoral or PhD studies in the field under consideration from a domestic or equivalent foreign university or research institution (or equivalent scientific qualification)
- The qualification for lecturing (venia docendi) acquired at a domestic or equivalent foreign university or an academic qualification recognised as equivalent to a qualification as a university lecturer
- Outstanding publication record in internationally recognised academic journals in the fields of work of the professorship
- Pedagogic and didactic qualification for academic teaching of Physics, in English and in German
- Research experience relevant to the field of specialisation with national and international reputation as well as skills in networking
- International experience in the relevant field of specialisation
- Experience in recruitment, completion and management of research projects
- Suitability and willingness to manage a research division or a research group
- The candidate should ideally have competence and experience in the professional promotion of young scholars and women as well as in the field of gender mainstreaming
- In case the candidate does not yet possess adequate knowledge of German, willingness to acquire German skills at a level suitable for teaching, participation in management of the institute and the faculty as well as in university bodies is expected
Excellent working conditions in an attractive research environment
- A strong network of quantum research groups in Austria
- Attractive compensation combined with a supplemental retirement benefit program sponsored by the employer
- Financial support of research activities in the first years (start-up funds); support in moving to Vienna (if required)
- Dual career advice (if required): We offer partners of the university professors appointed to TU Wien various supporting services tailored to their individual situation
- An employee-friendly environment in a city with an extraordinary high quality of lif
Classification in the A1 category of the collective bargaining agreement for employees of universities and a minimum salary of EUR 5.130,20/month (14 times a year) is provided for. A higher salary depending on qualifications and experience will be the subject of appointment negotiations.
Applications (in English) should include the following documents:
- A detailed curriculum vitae (including professional and academic record)
- A list of publications (including a link to a unique researcher identifier like on ResearcherID, ORCID or Google Scholar)
- A list of teaching and lecturing activities
- Copies of the 5 most important publications with regard to the position announced
- Presentation of previous academic activities as well as a survey of research and development projects carried out and of funding raised
- Motivation letter with a research and teaching plan
TU Wien aims at increasing the share of women, in particular in management functions and in the academic/artistic staff and therefore explicitly encourages qualified women to apply. Female applicants who are equally qualified as the best qualified competing male applicant will be accepted by preference unless personal qualifications of a competing male applicant prevail.
We endeavour to hire handicapped people with corresponding qualifications and therefore expressly encourage them to apply. For more information please contact the counsellor for handicapped persons at TU Wien, Mr Gerhard Neustätter (email@example.com, confidentiality is assured).
As a progressive university that is committed to fostering the development and realisation of the individual’s potential, TU Wien stands up for equal opportunities, for compatibility of career and family/leisure and for the needs of dual career couples.
We look forward to receiving your complete application documents by 31.07.2019 (date of email or date of postmark) addressed to
Office of the Dean
Faculty of Physics
Technische Universität Wien
Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10
1040 Wien, Austria
The written application should include a USB flash drive or a CD-ROM containing the complete application documents in a single PDF file.
EURAXESS offer ID: 417126
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.